Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Day 2 - Continued

Alexander stood on the foredeck watching the cloudline with concern. Sylpha stood beside him, gripping the Carida's wooden rail.

"I do not like the look of that storm head," he said. "I hope that Nicolia will reach Ise in safety. His message is of utmost importance."

"I did not realize you had sent him away."

"That is because you were . . . elsewhere at the time."

Sylpha smiled faintly. He meant that she had been wrapped in a blanket and shaking uncontrolably while she threw up over the Carida's rear rail.

"I sent him with a message to the Lords Council of Ise," Alexander continued. "I told them that you were well and free, and that most importantly," he hesitated.

"What?"

"That you are still most eager to wed Prince Arcanus."

Sylpha stared at him.

"_Why?_"

"We are tangled in a web of deception," Alexander said slowly. "My own men turned upon you, or we are meant to believe that they did. Who would want you dead at my hands?" He looked away from her, out to sea. "Worse yet even, Arcanus may take this as a deadly insult, that I have spirited you away on the eve of his wedding. Golias will not miss this chance to move against us, and the southern cities will not move to stop him." He snorted. "It is Arcanus right to claim veangance. Some may even join him!"

Sylpha was white-faced, understanding.

"What shall we do?"

"First we must weather this storm. Then you must wed Arcanus as quickly as possible. I'm sorry Sylpha," he said, seeing her face. "There is no help for it. Sometimes rulers must put themselves aside for the sake of their people. If you follow your heart in this, the land may break."

Sylpha sighed, gripping the railing hard.

"I will do it," she said. "And I will not weep. But niether will I laugh."

* * *

"It has been eight days. _Eight days_ without word. What is Alexander playing at?" Lord Councilor Verana slammed his fist into his writing table.

"I have worse news yet, Lord Councilor," Pantif said, appologetically. "The Watch found Nicolia's body in a gutter this morning."

"What! Nicolia dead?"

"Yes, dead and stripped. If he had a message from Alexander, it was taken."

"How did it happen? Nicolia was a mighty man. He would not fall easily."

"No indeed. I fear that he was taken unawares, by one he marked as a friend, maybe. He was cut here," Pantif indicated on his own torso, "just below the fifth rib. A single killing stroke."

"Well, we are all for the fire now," Verana said, slumping. "We have already had two riders from the south denouncing Alexander's _dastard act_ as they put it. The tower just reported a third rider hastening to the bridges from the east. If Golias moves against us, they will not stop him." He snorted. "By the gods, they would likely aid him."

Verana toyed with his stylus.

"They put out to sea in the ship meant for the Princess Sylpha's dowry gift. A fast vessel, but it could not go far from land." He sighed. "Send out seekers. I want them found and brought to me, in bound if necessary, but _alive_ at all costs!"

Pantif saluted smartly. "As the Lord Councilor commands."

* * *

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home